National Carbon Bank of Australia

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Which scheme applies to me?

    The activities must be undertaken at a site registered in New South Wales to be eligible for the NSW Energy Savings Scheme and similarly, at a site registered in Victoria to be eligible for the Victorian Energy Efficiency Scheme.

    There are also limitations as to what activities and calculation methods can be undertaken at industrial, residential and commercial sites. For example, the Commercial Lighting Energy Savings Formula under the NSW ESS cannot be used for residential installations, and the NABERS Baseline Method cannot be used for industrial or residential sites.

    Contact us and we will explain this further.

  • What is the NSW ESS ?

    As defined by the NSW Energy Savings Scheme themselves:

    The Energy Saving Scheme is a NSW energy savings program with the objective to:

    • assist households and businesses to reduce electricity consumption and electricity costs
    • complement a national scheme for carbon pollution reduction
    • reduce the cost of, and the need for, additional energy generation, transmission and distribution infrastructure
    • reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

    Click here for our simple overview, or visit the NSW Energy Savings Scheme website.

  • What is a RESA / Prescribed Activity?

    RESA stands for Recognized Energy Savings Activity and is used by the NSW ESS. The VEET scheme uses the term Prescribed Activity which means essentially the same thing. They are activities that must reduce energy consumption without reducing production level or quality of service.

    For example this may include automating manufacturing processes, upgrading lighting installations, installing variable speed drives on electric motors, or switching off unnecessary loads. Types of activities that are not eligible include energy generation (i.e. solar or bi/tri-generations systems), fuel switching and energy savings that are not link to the national grid.

  • How does it all work?

    Its pretty simple when you know how. Contact us and we will be happy to discuss your activity and how we can help.

    National Carbon Bank of Australia

  • What is a certificate?

    There is no actual physical certificate that you receive. It is a notional term used to quantify the value you create when saving energy. One certificate is equivalent to 1 tonne of carbon dioxide which is equal to 1.06 Megawatt hours of energy. On completion of the energy saving project certificates are registered on the scheme registry.

  • What is driving the market?

    These market based schemes work by placing an obligation on the liable entities, mainly electricity retailers, to undertake or pay for energy efficiency programs.

    Liable parties, or mandatory scheme participants, comprise of all holders of state electricity retail licenses, electricity generators that supply directly to retail customers in New South Wales or Victoria, and market customers who purchase their electricity directly from the National Electricity Market.

  • What is an ACP/AP?

    An ACP ( Accredited Certified Provider) and AP (Approved Person) are the formal terms given to businesses like National Carbon Bank of Australia that have been accredited by the Scheme Administrators to operate within the schemes by creating energy certificates through the installation of energy efficiency activities.

  • How will I know if my products are accredited to claim certificates?

    We can help you with this. Call us for a chat.